In today’s generation, most of the people are facing the problem of high sugar level or have diabetes. Many medicines are also there to control this disease but the side effects of the medicine are hazardous for our health. So, people are opting for exercise and minimizing their sugar intake. Now, to replace sugar something should be used and that’s where Stevia leaves are used for sweetening our food. But we should also take into consideration certain health factors that are good or bad after or before replacing sugar with Stevia.
What is Stevia?
Stevia is a component that is used as a replacement of sugar and is also used as a natural sweetener for making your food taste sweet. Stevia is just a plant spices. The stevia myth/story is derived from Stevia Rebaudiana, and this Stevia can be found only in Brazil and Paraguay. The most active and helpful component of Stevia is steviol glycosides, and the level of sweetness is 30 to 150 times more than that of sugar. Stevia products can be easily found in any grocery stores, named as Truvia or Stevia in the Raw, they are refined and purely made from Stevia leaves and also from the leaf extracts known as Rebaudioside A (scientific name).
Benefits of Using Stevia
If you want to continue to enjoy your sweet dishes and also want to maintain your health, try using Stevia-based sweeteners and continue maintaining your health and also maintain your calorie level. The benefits of Stevia based sweeteners are:
- The most useful and considerable fact about stevia leaf extract is that they contain much less or zero calories which are the best help for those who maintain a strict diet for losing weight.
- Using stevia leaf extracts can also maintain your blood glucose level and also adds as a great substitute for sugar.
- Various types of stevia leaves are present but they are processed by maintaining huge safety factors so that it is ready and good to consume for normal customers and diabetic patients also.
- Choosing stevia leaf extract can be a health-conscious decision because nowadays many of us have to limit our sugar intake levels and this stevia leaf extract sweetener can be the best substitute.
Risks of Using Stevia
Studies and researches have proved that stevia is inculcating side effects in recent years, and most of the researches and tests are done on animals since then stevia has shown a gradual increase in side effects and also been disapproved by many scientists, doctors, and researchers.
Some of the Stevia side effects are:
- Allergic Reaction: Some journals and reports have also stated that stevia can cause allergy problems in our bodies. So, those who are hypersensitive are prone to catch allergy after consumption of stevia.
- Low blood sugar (Hypoglycemia): We all know that stevia is used to maintained blood sugar level, but the consumption of stevia for long years can even cause low or abnormal blood sugar levels.
- Low blood pressure: Long use of stevia can also imbalance your blood pressure level which can lead to many health complications. So, for prolonged use of stevia speak to a doctor immediately.
Conclusion: So, before using stevia make sure to consult your doctors and also read about the stevia and health guidelines provided. Continuous use of stevia may cause health problems. Stay informed and consume safely.