Having diabetes restricts you from consuming sugar. But the good thing is there is a natural sweetener you can consume without worrying. Stevia is one of the best natural sweeteners. It is a sugar substitute that also contains a few little calories. It also helps people with diabetes to manage their blood sugar levels.
- What is stevia?
It is a natural sweetener that comes from a plant in North and South America. Stevia contains steviol glycosides. Also, it is 150 -300 times sweeter than normal sugar. It contains zero calories. As a diabetic sweetener, Stevia is very popular especially among the people with diabetes.
- Sugar for Diabetics
Normal sugar is totally banned throughout the life of a diabetes patient. But AHA (American Heart Association) and ADA (American Diabetes Association) said that stevia can be very beneficial for people with diabetes if they properly consume it. Many types of research found that stevia can reduce blood glucose levels, even before taking an insulin shot. So, we can really give stevia a chance to prove itself as the best sugar for diabetes.
Let’s know some benefits of stevia.
- Benefits of Stevia – The Ideal Natural Sweetener
There are many benefits that stevia can give. Here are some important benefits of stevia
- This diabetic sweetener is full of antioxidants properties which are very helpful to fight against any disease.
- Stevia controls blood sugar.
- It reduces hunger.
- Stevia protects the liver and kidneys from any kind of damage.
- It can reduce triglyceride and cholesterol levels.
- It is very safe to use and people can use it in moderate amounts.
Another best benefit of stevia is it is very versatile. You can use it in both cold or hot drinks and also many people sprinkle it over oatmeal or salad for extra taste.
It also can be useful in baking. Depending on the particular recipe you can make your cake with stevia. But it doesn’t caramelize and it is not compatible with all types of cooking or baking.
There are many studies that show stevia is a best option as an ideal diabetic sweetener.
In 2016 a study showed that the dried stevia leaf powder can significantly lower the blood sugar level in a diabetes patient’s body. This research also shows that stevia can reduce triglycerides and cholesterol levels.
In 2013 and in 2015 researchers found that stevia can reduce liver and kidney damage and it’s full of antioxidants properties can reduce any chance of disease in a human body.
Researches over the year proved that stevia is safe and the best natural diabetic sweetener for people with diabetes.
Here are some frequently asked questions about stevia or natural sweetener
- Can stevia cure or treat people with diabetes?: Due to some of the best benefits of stevia, many people wonder if stevia can treat or cure diabetes. Firstly, there is no cure for diabetes currently. But people can manage it with some healthy habits and proper medication. And stevia is basically a support for your lifestyle. Consuming stevia can lower blood sugar levels and stabilize them. But it is never said that stevia can cure any kind of diabetes. In fact, it is impossible.
- Is there any risk or side effect of stevia?: There is no side effect on consuming stevia. But some stevia products contain additives that may cause some side effects like bloating, nausea and vomiting, stomach pain and cramping and other digestive issues. So people with diabetes have to choose stevia products carefully.
In this article, we mentioned the stevia as the best natural sweetener and everything you need to know about it.